Get mentored by Jason
in the 2010 ThirstRelief Mentor Auction!
Grow as a photographer while saving lives!
I'm participating in the 2010 ThirstRelief Mentor Auction. Our mission is to save lives by tapping into the incredible talent and generosity of the photo industry.
Did you know that every 15 seconds someone dies of a waterborne illness? That's 5,760 people every day! You can help. Bid on a mentoring session with your favorite photographer!
100% of the proceeds directly benefit Thirst Relief. Add to that the incredible wisdom and talent that is being shared in the one-on-one mentor sessions and you have better and more successful photographers! It's truly a win win for everyone involved!
About me and my mentor auction
Jason Thon, also known as the Ja in Staja Studios. Together with my
wife, Stacey, we have built a wedding photography studio in
Minneapolis, MN. Our focus is on providing a high quality experience
for our clients. In addition, I have recently been inspired to begin
helping educate and motivate others within the photography community
and wedding industry. To date, the most memorable moment of my career
was being invited to participate in the Grace Ormonde Thirst Relief
Benefit Shoot in Tanzania, Africa. Although I don't have any new
workshop, action set, or DVD to offer with this mentor session, what I
do have is my experience and the valuable information I have learned
and been taught along the way. I don't have any pre-determined agenda,
but am available to talk about photography itself: technical skills,
finding photography influences, and developing a style. More
importantly I am open to the photography business: my thoughts on
marketing, the "branding" process and working to develop an identity,
and particularly the quirks and advantages/potential pitfalls of
working with a business partner and/or spouse. I will be available at
WPPI, in Minneapolis, or via telephone to hold this mentor session. I
look forward to meeting and helping make your time as valuable as
My mentor session can take place at WPPI 2010 (Las Vegas), in my hometown of Minneapolis, MN, USA OR on the phone.
For more information, please visit thirstrelief.shootq.com!
To bid on me, please go HERE!
The auction is only live Feb 16th and 17th, so please bid early and bid often! To bid on me, please go HERE!
Wow, what a fun way to start off the first Tanzania Thursday of the new year! For this edition, I have some exciting news to share. One of my favorite images from the trip was chosen for the article on the Thirst Relief Benefit Shoot.
For those of you who haven't heard of Wedding Style magazine, within the industry it is considered one of the best magazines out there. Grace Ormonde has staked her name on the visual appearance of this magazine. If you were to look through it, everything is done very classy and pleasing to the eye. The first time I came across the magazine, it instantly became a must read because I was so impressed with the layout, the images, and the style that Grace features. I remember showing Stacey it for the first time and we both said "We want to be in there, how cool would that be". Mark one off the bucket list I guess :). In all actuality, I just feel honored to have my name next to any of the other people who went on the trip.
I encourage anyone who hasn't read Grace's magazine to take a look. I think you would agree that her magazine is top notch! Without further delay, here is the article. My image is of the boy getting a piggy back ride on page 104. We are hoping this is just the first of many future appearances. Thanks Grace!
I just got done listening to Mike Colón on the [b] school's study hall earlier today. I met Mike years ago at WPPI and was instantly drawn to his style of photography and the approach he has taken in his business. Fast forward a few years and I was able to have the opportunity to attend one of his workshops. Since then, I have kept in touch and am proud to be able to call him both a mentor and a friend. With that said, nothing could have prepared me for when I got a call from Mike inviting me on the Thirst Relief & Grace Ormonde benefit shoot. Despite a lot of things going on, I knew there was a reason he called and that I had to go. It was a great experience and I will forever be grateful for the opportunity.
Back to today. After I got done listening to the video stream, I knew I had my image for this weeks Tanzania Thursday! The shot of Mike was taken on the bus ride to the safari we were going on. He had just purchased a new toy, as you will see firmly clenched in his mouth. Personally, I think he just hadn't gotten enough Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in, and needed to let off some steam. While on the safari, we had come up on a couple of sleepy kitties, albeit big kitties! I managed to get the other shot as the lioness was letting us know she knew we were there. After going through things, I couldn't help but laugh at the similarities.
In closing and before we get to the picture, I just wanted to say a huge "Thank You" to Mike for thinking of me for this trip, and for all he has done for us and a lot of others within the photo community.
For this edition of Tanzania Thursday, I wanted to post two images that I just love when put together. The image on the left I took early one morning while taking some images on the beach with my friend and awesome Nebraska photographer, Shane Melenbacker. Shane was taking some images of these cool trees that grow near the shore, and I wandered further down the beach. I saw this guard who was guarding the entrance to one of the resorts. I found it fascinating to see this man with a stoic look while on the beach with a rifle. He was kind enough to let me take a few quick shots and this was my favorite. The second image is a picture of the models for the Grace Ormonde Wedding Style shoot that we did. They were getting their make-up done for the first shoot. I just love how the expressions on these images correlate, yet they were there for completely different reasons! Stay tuned as we are getting closer to being able to post images from the fashion shoots.
Stacey and I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. We hope you all had a great day and were able to spend it with those you love. We spent the day at my Dad's and had plenty of great food, too much pie, played some games, and just enjoyed being around family. My sister actually asked me to get a few pictures of my nephew Tanner for his Sr. pictures. The weather was a bit cold so we didn't have a lot of time and did it in a few shifts, but all said and done, I hope they like the results. Here is a picture from later in the day.
Since it is the season of being thankful, Stacey and I wanted to say thank you to a few people.
1) My Loving and Supporting Wife - This last year has been an exciting yet stressful one work related. It has been the goal for both of us to be full time with the business and this ended up being the year! It wasn't really the plan, but then again is there ever really a "good time" to take the plunge? Stacey has been so supportive and my biggest advocate to make the jump. Let's just hope she doesn't change her mind after having to work with me all the time :).
2) Our Families - We both come from wonderful families and owe so much of where we are to them. From the work ethic and discipline they instilled in us when we were younger to the support that they give us in helping make our dreams come true, we wouldn't be here without our parents and the rest of our families! I only hope that we can provide the same environment for our children to have a happy childhood, while providing the foundation for them to live out their dreams.
3) Our Clients - It may get to sound repetitive, but it bears repeating that we truly have the best job! I can't imagine many other professions where you get to be with people and experience some of the most memorable events in their life. Sometimes we find ourselves just having to step back and pinch ourselves about how lucky we are to get the opportunity to do what we love. We would never have that chance without all of our wonderful clients! We honestly feel so humbled and honored to be allowed to capture those special moments in your lives! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
4) Our Friends - To our friends, both new and old. Thank you very much for the insight, support, and countless hours you have shared with us. We may not get to see you as much as we would like, but you all have given us something that time or distance can't take away, and those are incredible memories. To all of our fellow photography and industry friends, we owe a debt of gratitude for all of the help and advice you have given us.
5) My Tanzania Trip - To my friends from the Thirst Relief Trip in Tanzania, I thank you for one of the best experiences in my life! I couldn't imagine there being a better group of people who were more accepting and unified in trying to make a difference. You all our the best! This was a trip that will have forever changed my life. A special thank you goes out to Jim Davis Hicks and Mike Colón. Jim, you are a man of amazing faith and dedication to a cause. Your relentless pursuit in trying to help others is an inspiration and I am thankful for being able to call you a friend. Mike, you have long been an inspiration to our business and a mentor. You have always had the courage to follow your own path and blaze new trails. Above all, your dedication in helping pull this group and trip together was exceptional. On a personal level, thank you for helping push me off the cliff. As you say, it's time to learn to swim!
For this weeks Tanzania Thursday, I took the following image of this incredible team (compliments of Phillip Glickman), from the Thirst Releif & Grace Ormonde Benefit Shoot Blog!
Top left to right: Me, Ben Harrison, Mike Colón, Jeff LaPlante, Luke Edmondson, Melissa Jill, Shane Melenbacker, Andrew Bryant, Jim Hicks
Bottom left to right: Ray Santana, David Burke, Phillip Glickman, our new friend Stephen Machua, and David Edmondson
Not pictured, but equally as awesome as everyone in this picture: Laura Parker, Michelle Walker, Kennedy and JP Pierce.
In closing, Thank You all for stopping by our little blog and continuing to come back! We hope you had a great day!